[Numpy-discussion] lfilter

Joris De Ridder Joris.DeRidder at ster.kuleuven.be
Sat Dec 20 14:48:49 EST 2008

On 19 Dec 2008, at 17:10 , Sturla Molden wrote:

> I am wondering if not scipy.signal.lfilter ought to be a part of the
> core NumPy. Note that it is similar to the filter function found in
> Matlab, and it makes a complement to numpy.convolve.
>
> May I suggest that it is renamed or aliased to numpy.filter?

NumPy is primarily meant as an N-dimensional array manipulation
library, so an IIR/FIR filter doesn't really fit into this. The
developers are not aiming at mimicking Matlab, but are offering NumPy/
SciPy as a viable open-source alternative, where SciPy is the package
to be used for mathematics, science, and engineering.

Cheers,
Joris