[Numpy-discussion] Thoughts on persistence/object tracking in scientific code

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Dec 27 12:33:55 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 04:59:25PM +0100, Bradford Cross wrote:
>    I prototyped an approach last year that worked out well. I don't really
>    know what to call it - maybe something like "property based persistence."
>    It is kind of strange and I am not sure how broadly applicable it is - I
>    have only used it for financial time series data.

Yeay, that's exactly what I had in mind for my second try. I though I
would call this special object some kind of execution context.

>    I still have the python code for this properties based time series
>    database.  It is a very small and simple peice of code, but I am happy to
>    give it a quick polish and open source it if anyone is interested in
>    taking a look.

I am very interested in both your code, and anything you can to tell us
about what worked well, and what you would do different.

>    I am also about to try this model using F# and db4o for a .Net project.

Functionally language are clearly a very interesting alley to go down for
these problems. I am right now in Python, and staying there for a while,
but I believe I can learn a lot from functionnal languages.

Thanks for your feedback,

Gaël