[Numpy-discussion] formatting issues, locale and co

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Tue Dec 30 21:28:29 EST 2008

Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:38:12 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
[clip]
> I put my yesterday work in the fix_float_format branch:
>  - it fixes the locale issue
>  - it fixes the long double issue on windows.
>  - it also fixes some tests (we were not testing single precision
>    formatting but twice double precision instead
>  - the single precision test fails on the trunk BTW).
>  - it handles inf and nan more consistently across platforms (e.g.
>    str(np.log(0)) will be '-inf' on all platforms; on windows, it used
>    to be '-1.#INF'
>  - I was afraid it would broke converting back the
>    string to float, but it is broken anyway before my change, e.g.
>    float('-1.#INF') does not work on windows).
[clip]

I did some work on the fix_float_format branch from the opposite
direction, making fromfile and fromstring properly locale-independent.
(cf. #884)

Works currently on POSIX systems, but some tests fail on Windows because
float('inf') does not work [neither does float('-1.#INF')...]. (cf. #510)
A bit more work must be done on NumPyOS_ascii_strtod to make inf/nan work
as intended. Also, roundtrip tests for repr would be nice to add, if they
aren't there yet, and possibly for str <-> fromstring roundtrip, too.
I'll be almost offline for 1.5 weeks starting now, so if you want to
finish this, go ahead.

--
Pauli Virtanen