[Numpy-discussion] String sort

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Sat Feb 9 16:29:07 EST 2008

Chuck,

One more thing on this.  I've been doing some benchmarking with my
opt_memcpy() macro in the quicksort_string function, and I should say
that while it is definitely more efficient than my system memcpy for
small values of n (the number of bytes to copy), this doesn't keep true
for all values of n.  For example, for n<16, opt_memcpy() can be more
than 4x faster than system memcpy (and this is why I naively thought
that it would be faster in general).  However, for n>80, memcpy beats
opt_memcpy between a 25% and 100% (depending on whether n is divisible
by 2, 4 or 8).  This is on my Linux system (Ubuntu 7.10), but perhaps
with Windows the behaviour can be different.

I think I would be able to come up with a routine that can offer a
balance between opt_memcpy and system memcpy, but that should take some
time.  So, until I (or anybody else) do more research on this, I think
it would be safer if you use system memcpy for string sorting in NumPy.

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"