[Numpy-discussion] String sort

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Wed Feb 13 05:35:33 EST 2008

A Tuesday 12 February 2008, Bruce Southey escrigué:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Opteron 248 (2.66GHz) that with gcc 4.1.0 (SUSE10.1?) that
> gives C qsort with C style compare: 0.650000
> C qsort with Python style compare: 0.640000
> NumPy newqsort: 0.360000

That's very intersting.  In a similar configuration, but using SuSe 10.3
(Enterprise) instead of 10.1, I don't see this factor of almost 2 of
difference in performance (in fact, both performances, C qsort and
NumPy newqsort, are very similar).

This seems to confirm that the GNU glibc crew has fixed the qsort
performance very recently (i.e. I hope it is not only a fix in SuSe
10.3 Enterprise), and this is why most of current distros are seeing
the poor performance in qsort.

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"