[Numpy-discussion] C Extensions, CTypes and "external code & libraries

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 11:20:41 EST 2008

--- David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> But the real question is : if you are concerned with
> code bload, why
> using static lib at all ? Why not using shared
> library, which is
> exactly designed to solve what you are trying to do
> ?
> cheers,
> David

Yes, a good question.  Two reasons I started off with
the static library.  One is that Gnu instructions
claimed the dynamic library did not always build
properly on the Mac OS X.  So I just built the static
GSL and figured if I got that to link up to my code, I
could then spend some time trying the dynamic build.
The other reason is that I am just learning this and I
am probably backing into the "right" way to do this
rather than starting right off with the right way.
Maybe my worries about bloat and (even more) time to
load are not important for the GSL and the code will
load fast enough and not take up too much in resources
to matter.

Later today I will try to build the dynamic version of
GSL and see what that yields.  If I get it I will link
to that as you suggest.

Thanks, again.  Your suggestions have moved me along
nicely.

-- Lou Pecora,   my views are my own.