[Numpy-discussion] Is anyone knowledgeable about dll deployment on windows ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Feb 15 07:03:32 EST 2008

Hi,

    My head hurt trying to understand dll management with windows. I
wanted to find a sane way to use dll for numscons, but I can't see how
to do this, so I was wondering if anyone on this ML had any deep
knowledge on how to install dll, and reuse them with python extensions ?
The problem is the following:
    - you have some dll (say MKL) in a path (say C:\program files\MKL).
    - how do you tell another dll (more exactly a python extension, a
.pyd) to look for mkl dll into the MKL path ?

It seems that there is no rpath-like capability on windows, and the only
way to load dll is to put them into some windows directory, or to put
the dll path into PATH. Is it really the only way ?

cheers,

David