[Numpy-discussion] Is anyone knowledgeable about dll deployment on windows ?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Feb 15 08:04:32 EST 2008

Matthieu Brucher wrote:
> When Visual Studio 2008 will be used, there might be a way of using the
> manifest files (that were created for a similar purpose).
> For the moment, All I know is that you must put the dll in the
> Windows/system32 folder or somewhere in the PATH.

That's not enough for some DLLs. .NET assemblies as well as Side-by-Side
dlls (SxS) must be registered properly. You can install a SxS dll in
PATH but simple copying the DLL isn't enough. It also depends on the OS.

Have fun! The SxS issue has bitten us in the a.. when we delivered the
second beta of Python 3.0.

Christian