[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] numscons 0.4.1. Building numpy with MS compiler + g77 works !

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Feb 19 04:12:37 EST 2008

Matthieu Brucher wrote:

> If you use an installed ATLAS/MKL/... library, I don't know where is
> the problem wit linking with them :|

Atlas is not a problem, because if you know how to build a dll for
ATLAS, you know how to handle environment variable problems. It is not a
purely technical problem, but a combination of both cultural and
technical. I know that if I tell you, Matthieu, to put you library path
in your path, you won't tell me it does not work if the PATH is changed
or something similar. But that's not how most windows users work in my
experience.

As for the problem: if you use PATH for dll, you need:
    - to use PATH inside scons, that is polluting the build environment
with a variable you cannot control at all.
    - to add the path of the used libraries into the user environment.
I can imagine many things going wrong in this scenario. And guess who a
user will complain to if something is messed up ? :)

cheers,

David