[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] numscons 0.4.1. Building numpy with MS compiler + g77 works !

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Feb 19 04:34:45 EST 2008

Matthieu Brucher wrote:

> Now that you provide an installer for Atlas, it may become the same
> problem as MKL, can't it ?

It is exactly the same problem, yes. Right now, my installer does not
modify the environment at all (like MKL or ACML, actually), and you have
to do it manually (add PATH, or put in system32).

> Yes, they will complain to you for sure, but I can't see where dynamic
> libraries can become a problem :
> - are they numpy dlls ? is so there is a problem, I agree with you

numpy 'dll' (they are technically dll, but are named .pyd on recent
version of windows) are mandatory, and is not a problem: it is handled
by python (whose import mechanism knows how to import dll not in the
path env var).

> - are they external dlls ? If so, the installer must have set up
> everything so that everything works, but this is where people bark at
> the wrong people : the users of the dll and not the installers.
Well, neither ACML or MKL does it, at least the versions I looked into.
You have to launch a special cmd.exe (like for VS2005) which import the
variables.

cheers,

David