[Numpy-discussion] Matching 0-d arrays and NumPy scalars

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Wed Feb 20 23:14:07 EST 2008

Hi everybody,

In writing some generic code, I've encountered situations where it would
reduce code complexity to allow NumPy scalars to be "indexed" in the
same number of limited ways, that 0-d arrays support.

For example, 0-d arrays can be indexed with

    * Boolean masks
    * Ellipses x[...]  and x[..., newaxis]
    * Empty tuple x[()]

I think that numpy scalars should also be indexable in these particular
cases as well (read-only of course,  i.e. no setting of the value would
be possible).

This is an easy change to implement, and I don't think it would cause
any backward compatibility issues.

Any opinions from the list?

Best regards,

-Travis O.