[Numpy-discussion] Matching 0-d arrays and NumPy scalars

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Feb 21 12:40:13 EST 2008

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Konrad Hinsen apparently wrote:
> A float64 array is thus a container of float64 values.

Well ... ok::

    >>> x = N.array([1,2],dtype='float')
    >>> x0 = x[0]
    >>> type(x0)
    <type 'numpy.float64'>

So a "float64 value" is whatever a numpy.float64 is,
and that is part of what is under discussion.
So it seems to me.

If so, then expected behavior and use cases seem relevant.

Alan

PS I agree that the posted matrix behavior is "weird".
For this and other reasons I think it hurts the matrix
object, and I have requested that it change ...