[Numpy-discussion] matrix wart

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Fri Feb 22 10:56:22 EST 2008

Alan G Isaac wrote:

>> stop believing that M[0][0] and M[0,0] should return the
>> same thing.   There is nothing in Python that requires
>> this.
>>

> I never suggested there is.
> My question "how to guess?" does not imply that.
>
> My point is: the matrix object could have more intuitive
> behavior with no loss of functionality.

Do I understand correctly, that by intuitive you mean based on
experience with lists, and NumPy arrays?    I agree, it is very valuable
to be able to use previous understanding to navigate a new thing.
That's a big part of why I could see changing the matrix object in 1.1
to behave as you described in your previous post:  where M[i] returned a
1-d array and matrices were returned with 2-d (slice-involved) indexing
(I would not mind M[0,0] to still return a scalar, however).

-Travis