[Numpy-discussion] matrix wart

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Feb 22 11:29:04 EST 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, "Travis E. Oliphant" apparently wrote:
> Do I understand correctly, that by intuitive you mean
> based on experience with lists, and NumPy arrays?

Yes.

In particular, array behavior is quite lovely
and almost never surprising, so matrices should
deviate from it only when there is an adequate
payoff and, ideally, an easily stated principle.

Thanks!
Alan

PS If you choose to implement such changes, I would find
M[0,0] returning a 1×1 matrix to be more consistent, but to
be clear, for me this is *very* much a secondary issue.
Not even in the same ballpark.