[Numpy-discussion] loadtxt broken if file does not end in newline

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 27 19:31:50 EST 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> Fixed in r4827.

Thanks Robert. For the record, this is the fixed version:

        comment_start = line.find(comments)
         if comment_start > 0:
             line = line[:comments_start].strip()
         else:
             line = line.strip()

Just as a matter of interest, why this, rather than line.index()? Are
exceptions slower than an if test?

Also,

I don't see any io tests in:

numpy/lib/tests

Is that where they should be? It seems like a good idea to have a few...

If I did find the time to write some tests -- how does one go about it
for this sort of thing? Do I put a couple sample input files in SVN? Or
does the test code write out the sample files, then read them in to
test? Or maybe do it all in memory with sStringIO or something. Are
there any examples of tests of file reading code that I could borrow from?

thanks,
-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov