[Numpy-discussion] non-intuitive behaviour in numpy.array([list], numpy.object_)

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 3 12:50:05 EST 2008

Garnet Chan wrote:
> When constructing an numpy object array from a list of numpy arrays,
> one observes the following behaviour

> (2, 2, 2)
> (2,)
>
> I understand that this is because in the 1st instance, numpy is trying
> to be clever and recognises that the list of arrays "a" can be
> reshaped into a 3-d array. But surely, if we are constructing an array
> with the object_ dtype, the first should also be converted into a
> shape (2,) array?

arrays of the _object dtype are plain weird -- as arbitrary objects can
be sequences (and mutable ones at that!), it's impossible to
automatically create the shape of arrays of objects that the user wants.
Perhaps it could be a bit smarter to be more consistent, but what you
really need to do is define the shape for numpy, and not expect it to
figure out what you want -- even if it does the right thing with one
example.

If you want a (2,) array, then do this:

 >>> b = N.empty(2, dtype=N.object)
 >>> b.shape
(2,)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov