[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:24:33 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 11:26 PM, Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > In the mean time, do you want to tell us more about how you use bzr with
> > > svn. This seems like a good transitory option.
> > Once you installed bzr-svn, you can import the whole scikits trunk using
> > the svn-import command.
>
> This works OK for Linux, but for Windows, the packages needed by bzr-svn
> (the python wrappers that are in the usual python-subversion package) are in
> the Subversion trunk ( 1.5). So we have to compile them first.

Yes, there is indeed a problem with bzr-svn in that respect on
windows. People are trying to improve the situation, though (at least
one developer of bzr is a windows user, by which I mean he mainly uses
windows, and bzr-svn is one of the top priority for obvious reasons).

But the transition Gael talked about is not about everyone using
bzr-svn, this would be overkill and a waste of ressources. The
solution would be to have a bzr mirror of svn, hosted somewhere on
scipy.org, so that we use bzr, on a bzr repository, e.g only the
mirror system would need bzr-svn.

> Beside this, I'm starting to use bazaar (in fact it's the successor of arch)
> for a small project of mine hosted on launchpad.net, and it works great. As
> David stated, the only problem is the UI : on Linux, I'm using mainly the
> command line because olive-gtk is buggy and not really user friendly (there
> is room for improvement, it has even deprecation warnings because it uses a
> pre-0.18 bzr API). For Windows, I tried to use it also, but I saw that there
> might be a TortoiseBZR program, but I didn't try it.

As a linux user, I don't see the point of a GUI for most tasks related
to bzr :) I sometimes use bzr-gtk, though. On windows, it seems that
qbzr is the most windows-friendly. I don't know the state of
TortoiseBzr, but I will find out soon, since I have to set up a system
to coordinate change at my lab, and I intend to test more thoroughly
trac+bzr+TortoiseBzr.

David