[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sat Jan 5 18:25:00 EST 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 03:00:21PM -0600, Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> I suspect there are others with serious reservations about jumping off
> of SVN just now (just when a lot of people have finally figured out how
> to use it).

I recall something you said to David last week, regarding merges with
SVN: that a person never knows how to do it until *after* you've done
it!  We often make branches in scipy and numpy, and stand a lot to
gain from a distributed RCS.

Once a person knows how to use SVN, it doesn't take much effort at all
to learn bzr or hg (even the commands are often the same).  The main
change is a mind-shift: that branches are now a lot friendlier, and
that they are accessable to everybody.

At the end of 2005, back when I was still working with Octave, we had
a discussion on the merits of switching over to Subversion.  That
conversation never went anywhere, which is the reason you can still
obtain Octave today using

cvs -d :ext:anoncvs at www.octave.org:/cvs

I know there are reservations about doing the switch *right now*,
which is fine -- we must just not wait too long.

Regards
Stéfan