[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Sun Jan 6 13:11:02 EST 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:
[...]
> To be frank, I did not realize that mercurial was that popular (which
> makes it more of an argument than I initially thought: I assumed -
> wrongly it seems - that both had a similar user-base)

David,

One reason that they apparently do not is that mercurial has been more
stable and usable for a longer period.  It was more than two years ago
that I decided to begin using a VCS for local projects.  I surveyed the
field, concluded I wanted a DVCS, and gradually got the sense that
mercurial was already usable without too much risk of ending up stranded
by major design changes or death of the project.  Bzr was in the early
development stages, breaking away from the original bazaar which was
being abandoned, so it was simply not a reasonable choice at the time.

Eric