[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:59:14 EST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 4:41 AM, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
> > Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> >

> >> I don't think it is time to move wholesale to something like Mercurial
> >> or bzr.   I would prefer it if all of the Enthought-hosted projects
> >> moved to the (new) system at once,  which is not going to happen in the
> >> short term (but long term of course it's an open question).
> >>

> > I think that's irrelevant. There is absolutely no reason that we should force
> > all of the Enthought-hosted projects to move in sync.
> It is relevant, because I have my hands in all of them.  I don't want to
> have to keep up with too many different systems at once.   Perhaps it's
> selfish and immaterial to others, but it is relevant to me.

I can understand the reluctance, but neither mercurial or bzr are
difficult to use. The time required to learn one of them would be
quickly negligeable compared to the time gained.

> >  We would have reason if we
> > were being asked to host a different centralized VCS with a complicated server,
> > but hosting Mercurial or bzr is nearly trivial. We already do it for me:
> >
> >    http://www.enthought.com/~rkern/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi
> >
> > The remaining thing we would have to support is the Trac integration. While not
> > as trivial as simply hosting the repositories, it's not a very large commitment.
> >

> Trac integration is exactly what I'm thinking about.   If it is easy,
> then it is not a big deal, but I have not seen arguments or evidence
> that it is the case (or suggestions of something to use other than Trac
> -- which is also a bigger deal for moving everything at once).
There are trac plugins for both bzr and mercurial. For bzr, I was
pointed the following project using trac (10.4) plus trac+bzr:

http://bugs.bitlbee.org/bitlbee/browser

You seemed to be open on the idea of a mirror: what about a
mercurial/bzr mirror of numpy and scipy, + some kind of trac mirror (I
don't think it would be a problem to have a mirror to see the
branches; having a read only ticket viewer maybe more difficult) ? It
is just a matter of having 1/2 volunteers + some help from people
having access to the servers (to get svn dump and co).

cheers,

David