[Numpy-discussion] parallel numpy (by Brian Granger) - any info?

dmitrey dmitrey.kroshko at scipy.org
Mon Jan 7 16:26:18 EST 2008

The only one thing I'm very interested in for now - why the most
simplest matrix operations are not implemented to be parallel in numpy
yet (for several-CPU computers, like my AMD Athlon X2). First of all
it's related to matrix multiplication and devision, either point or
matrix (i.e. like A\B, A*B, dot(A,B)).
Another one highly convenient and rather simple thing to be implemented
is direct Decart multiplication like it is mentioned in
pyslice (IIRC I had some troubles with installing the one)
http://scipy.org/Topical_Software#head-cf472934357fda4558aafdf558a977c4d59baecb
I guess for ~95% of users it will be enough, and only 5% will require
message-pass between subprocesses etc.
BTW, IIRC latest MATLAB can uses 2-processors CPU already, and next
version is promised to handle 4-processors as well.
Regards, D.