[Numpy-discussion] Does float16 exist?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jan 8 22:14:17 EST 2008

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008 1:58 PM, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com
> <mailto:wbaxter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If you're really going to try to do it, Charles, there's an
>     implementation of float16 in the OpenEXR toolkit.
>     http://www.openexr.com/
>
>     Or more precisely it's in the files in the Half/ directory of this:
>     http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/openexr/ilmbase-1.0.1.tar.gz
>
>     I don't know if it's IEEE conformant or not (especially w.r.t. NaN's
>     and such) but it should be a good start.  The code seems to be well
>     documented.
>

> The license looks good, essentially BSD. The code is all C++, which is
> the obvious way to go for this sort of thing, and I would like to
> stick with it, but that could lead to build/compatibility problems. I
> think NumPy itself should really be in C++.  Maybe scons can help with
> the build.
Why do you think scons would help ? You can build C++ code today with
distutils; but I am not sure it is ok to use C++ in numpy (e.g. adding a
C++ compiler dependency). Also, note that C++ is really a mess to
support on multi-platform because of compiler incompabilities (at the
source and at the binary level).

cheers,

David