[Numpy-discussion] Docstring page, out of date?

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 22 01:18:17 EST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 7:56 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2008 8:38 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If I hit the source code link in the generated  html, it looks like that
> page was generated from the old document format. The new document format
> doesn't produce output that looks anything like that and epydoc generates a
> couple of warnings:
> >
> > | File /home/charris/workspace/numpy/numpy/doc/example.py, line 19, in
> > | example.foo
> > |   Warning: Line 24: Wrong underline character for heading.
> > |   Warning: Lines 27, 30, 32, 37, 39, 41, 43, 48, 50: Improper paragraph
> > |            indentation.
> >
> > The new document format requires a preprocessor that has yet to be
> written.
>
> Since epydoc also works for compiled modules, I think the easiest way to do
> that is to fork epydoc. The syntax of the new markup is context sensitive -
> single types are no longer in {} - so parsing will be a bit more
> complicated. As ReST is not part of the current document markup, we might
> consider removing the parts of the document documentation that refer to it.

Hey Chuck,

I am sorry that there has been so much confusion over the docstring
standards.  As you know, the problems you are pointing out arose from
the changes Travis made in December.  I added a warning to the top of
the coding style guideline explaining the situation:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/CodingStyleGuidelines
Once Travis writes a tool to render the docstrings, we can go ahead
and update the instructions.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman