[Numpy-discussion] How to build on Solaris 10 (x86) using sunperf?

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Tue Jan 22 14:49:20 EST 2008

Peter Ward wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have been trying to build numpy on an opteron based Solaris 10
> machine, with poor results.
> After skimming over the discussion archives I noticed a branch for
> numpy.sunperf in the svn repository.
> Unfortunately this is no longer available, so I was curious as to the
> best approach to building
> numpy on my problem platform.

In general, the key to building on a platform is the config.h file that
numpy generates.  It knows how to do it for a few platforms, but for
others it may not work.

In particular, we need to know how to find:

1) float and long double versions of functions
2) whether or not and how IEEE 754 floating point signalling is handled
on your platform.

There are a few other things that must be done.  You can generate the
config.h file by hand and then figure out how to get the build scripts
to do it automatically.  Start with a config.h file from another
platform and start tracking through the error messages.

It is a tedious process.  If you post error messages (or file them on
the Trac page for NumPy), we may be able to help.

-Travis O.