[Numpy-discussion] Which fortran compilers should numpy/scipy support ?

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Sun Jan 27 05:49:43 EST 2008

On Sun, January 27, 2008 12:12 pm, David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     For fortran support in numscons, I would like to know which fortran
> compiler we support ? For now, I successfully used the following:
>     - g77 on linux.
>     - mingw g77 on windows.
>     - gfortran on linux and mac os X.
>     - intel compiler on linux.
>     - sun compiler on linux and solaris.
>
> I suspect most unix compilers to work ok wo explicit support (the
> annoying ones are really windows ones), but I would prefer having a list
> of compilers explicitely supported for my unit tests.

All compilers defined in numpy/distutils/fcompiler used to work
at some point but it is difficult to maintain them when one does
not have access to all of these compilers and one must relay on
users bug reports.

In addition to the above list, the absoft compiler has been quite
popular, both on linux and windows. The mips compiler has been
used a lot and it used to work fine. The compaq compiler is used
by windows users. I haven't seen hpux, vast, lahey, pg compilers used
much but all except hpux (iirc) have been worked fine.
nag compiler should be easy to support.

I think we should support as much compilers as possible provided
that any of the numpy/scipy developers have access to these and
are willing to run the tests now and then.

Pearu