[Numpy-discussion] Doctest items

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 15:14:32 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If the
>> auto-ignore capability is still needed after that, I'll work on it.
>
> It seems to me that the ellipsis mechanism just allows the output to
> differ. However, matplotlib would still be required because plt.plot()
> would still be executed. matplotlib should not be a requirement for
> running the tests.

Oops, I misunderstood, then: I thought the intent was to execute the
statement but not compare the output (because they returned objects
that had their address in the repr).

I didn't look before to see how many times this feature would be
needed (yeah, should have done that before complaining about using
#doctest: +SKIP), but now that I look, I only see one batch of plt.
commands, in numpy.lib.function_base.bartlett. In view of that, does
it make more sense to use the SKIP directive for the ten plt. lines in
that one example?