[Numpy-discussion] Ctypes required? Fails to build.

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Wed Jul 2 17:43:50 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to build Python 2.5.1 on Solaris 9 with the Sun
WorkShop 6 compiler, but it is failing to build the ctypes
extension. Can anyone tell me whether NumPy 1.1 (or 1.04) can
work without ctypes, please? What about SciPy 0.6? Maybe
that's a silly question, but I can't see how to make it
compile so I'm a bit stuck!

I have been through one previous iteration where I tried
building NumPy 1.0.4 after ignoring the ctypes problem and it
produces undefined symbol errors for various math functions
like "exp" and "sqrt". So perhaps that answers my question
... but I'm not 100% clear about it being due to the ctypes
problem so I'd be grateful if someone can confirm that. In
fact, ctypes is not listed under NumPy "prerequisites" (which,
incidentally, is mistyped) in the FAQ and I believe it wasn't
part of Python either until 2.5.

Thanks,

James.