[Numpy-discussion] RFC: A proposal for implementing some date/time types in NumPy

John Hunter jdh2358 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 10:01:33 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Francesc Alted <falted at pytables.org> wrote:

> So, it seems that setters/getters for matplotlib datetime could be
> supported, maybe at the risk of loosing precision.  We should study
> this more carefully, but I suppose that if there is interest enough
> that could be implemented, yes.

You don't need to worry about mpl -- we will support whatever datetime
handling numpy implements (I think your proposal would be a great
addition).  We have been moving away from the date2num floats in mpl
(as you note using floats was not a great idea because of the
precision issue).  We now support native python datetime handling but
a numpy datetime would be ideal.  The infrastructure we use to handle
python datetime's can easily support other datetime objects.

JDH