[Numpy-discussion] RFC: A proposal for implementing some date/time types in NumPy

David Huard david.huard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 09:34:07 EDT 2008

2008/7/14 Francesc Alted <faltet at pytables.org>:

> [...]
> > DateArray([14-Jan-2001 14:34:33, 16-Jan-2001 10:09:11],
> >           freq='S')
>
> That's great.  However we only planned to import/export dates from the
> ``datetime`` module for the time being, mainly because of efficency but
> also simplicity.  Would many people be interested in seeing this kind
> of string date parsing integrated in the native NumPy types?

It's useful to have a complete string representation to write dates
to a file and be able to retrieve them later on. In this sense, a
strftime-like
write/read method would be appreciated (where the date format is specified
by the user or set by convention).

On the other hand, trying to second guess the format the date is formatted
in can quickly turn
into a regular expression nightmare (look at the mx.datetime module that
does this). I'd hate
to see you waste time on this.

David