[Numpy-discussion] Buildbot failures since r5443

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 05:13:50 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 03:51, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 03:19, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since r5443 the Sparc buildbots show a "Bus error" in the test phase:
>>
>>        http://buildbot.scipy.org/builders/Linux_SPARC_64_Debian/
>> builds/102/steps/shell_2/logs/stdio
>>
>> while the one on FreeBSD-64 passes.
>
> In the test that's failing (test_filled_w_flexible_dtype), a
> structured array with a dtype of [('i',int), ('s','|S3'), ('f',float)]
> is created. I'm guessing that the final C double in that record is not
> getting aligned properly. On that architecture, I'm willing to bet
> that doubles need to be aligned on a 4-byte or 8-byte boundary.

I think this is the case. Changing the dtype to use |S8 fixes that
test. I get another bus error where the same dtype is used. I've
changed these over in r5445 and r5446. We'll see if the buildbots
pass, but I suspect they will. I'm not sure where the real bug is,
though. We'll need real access to such a machine to fix the problem, I
suspect. Volunteers?

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."