[Numpy-discussion] Ticket review: #848, leak in PyArray_DescrFromType

Michael Abbott michael at araneidae.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 05:12:05 EDT 2008

Travis, thank you for your encouraging words.

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> Really this code "grew" from a simple thing into a complicated thing as
> more "features" were added.  This is a common issue that happens all
> over the place.
Aye.

> The reason I say I'm not sure is that I don't remember seeing a DECREF
> after the PyArray_Scalar in the obj = NULL part of the code in my
> looking at your patches.    But, I could have just missed it.
There wasn't -- instead, I was trying to retain the typecode (and paying
the price of releasing it on all the early returns!)

>  From a "generic" reference counting point of view you did correctly
> emphasize the problem of having a reference count creation occur in an
> if-statement but a DECREF occur all the time in the finish: section of
> the code.
Yah -- I think the core idea I was trying to get over is that of an
"invariant" property at each point in the code to capture what needs to be
true for the code to be correct.

> It was really that statement: "the fantasy that PyArray_Scalar steals a
> reference" that tipped me off to what I consider one of the real
> problems to be.    The fact that it was masked at the end of a long
> discussion about other reference counting and a "stealing" discussion
> that were not the core problem was distracting and ultimately not very
> helpful.
That was the really hard bit for me.  To me the issue was actually very
obvious (though I didn't realise that typecode could be regenerated, which
simplifies things enormously), so the problem was trying to figure out
what you and Charles were not seeing.  I think that's why I ended up
throwing everything into the pot!

> I'm very impressed with your ability to follow these reference count
> issues.  Especially given that you only started learning about the
> Python C-API a few months ago (if I remember correctly).
Alas no.  I'm a bit of an old lag really, I did dabble with the Python C
API quite a few years ago (2001ish maybe?).  Myy roots are in computer
science and then assembler (graduated 1980) before Pascal (seriously) then
C, then C++ (which I now regard as a serious mistake) and finally shell
script plus Python, all largely on embedded applications.  I'd love the
opportunity to learn and use Haskell now.

> I'm also very glad you are checking these corner cases which have not
> received the testing that they deserve.  I hope we have not discouraged
> you too much from continuing to help.  Your input is highly valued.

Maybe I'll have a further play.  The memory leak issue was a direct
consequence of using numpy in an embedded application, and that issue's
closed now, but I ought to see if this painful code can be revisited.

I'm learning my way around git and have just used `git svn` to grab (and
update) the numpy repository.  I'm hugely impressed by it, though it is
very expensive to run the first time -- it fetches every single svn
revision!  Hopefully that didn't overload the web server...  This will
make working on patches much easier.