[Numpy-discussion] strange seterr persistence between sessions

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Mon Jul 28 16:12:43 EDT 2008

Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:56:52 -0500, John Hunter wrote:

> In trying to track down a bug in matplotlib, I have come across tsome
> very strange numpy behavior.  Basically, whether or not I call
> np.seterr('raise') or not in a matplotlib demo affects the behavior of
> seterr in another (pure numpy) script, run in a separate process.
> Something about the numpy state is persisting between python sessions.
>  This appears to be platform specific, because I have only been able
> to verify it on 1 platform (quad code xeon 64 bit running fedora) but
> not on another (solaris x86).
[clip]

I don't see this on Python 2.5.2, Linux, AMD Athlon x86, numpy SVN r5542:
test.py always raises the FloatingPointError.

But on a related note: On 1.2.0.dev5542, I always see the
FloatingPointError in test.py. On 1.1.0, I don't see any
FloatingPointErrors. Still, nothing depends on running geo_data.py.

Are your numpy versions the same on these platforms? Do you have two
numpy versions installed. Could it be possible that somehow running the
scripts switches between numpy versions? (Sounds very strange, and of
course, this is easy to check for in test.py...)

--
Pauli Virtanen