[Numpy-discussion] "import numpy" is slow

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Jul 31 10:14:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:43:17PM +0200, Andrew Dalke wrote:
> Startup performance has not been a numpy concern.  It a concern for
> me, and it has been (for other packages) a concern for some of my
> clients.

I am curious, if startup performance is a problem, I guess it is because
you are running lots of little scripts where startup time is big compared
to run time. Did you think of forking them from an already started
process. I had this same problem (with libraries way slower than numpy to
load) and used os.fork to a great success.

Gaël