[Numpy-discussion] Installation info

Hanni Ali hanni.ali at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 04:21:11 EDT 2008

Hi David,

I compiled numpy with MSVC 9.0 (vs 2008), I am just using the inbuilt LA
libs to minimise complexity.

Although I have hacked it such that I can compile and all but one of the
regression tests passed:

ERROR: Tests reading from a text file.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\ma\tests\test_mrecords.py", line
363
, in test_fromtextfile
    fname = 'tmp%s' % datetime.now().strftime("%y%m%d%H%M%S%s")
ValueError: Invalid format string
Ran 1267 tests in 1.141s
FAILED (errors=1)
<unittest._TextTestResult run=1267 errors=1 failures=0>

This appears to be a problem with the strftime function in test_mrecords.py

The error seems to be created by the millisecond formatting argument %s,
removing this caused the test to pass.

So I think it's all ok really, however in order to get numpy to compile I
have commented out a small part which was causing compilation to fail:

numpy\core\src\umathmodule.c.src(64) : error C2059: syntax error : 'type'
numpy\core\src\umathmodule.c.src(70) : error C2059: syntax error : 'type'

This relates to this section of code:

#ifndef HAVE_FREXPF
static float frexpf(float x, int * i)
{
    return (float)frexp((double)(x), i);
}
#endif
#ifndef HAVE_LDEXPF
static float ldexpf(float x, int i)
{
    return (float)ldexp((double)(x), i);
}
#endif

The compiler directives HAVE_FREXPF and HAVE_LDEXPF do not appear to be
recognised by msvc 9 would you agree with that assessment?

And a redefinition of a function present in the stdc library is occurring.

What do you think? By just commenting out this piece of code numpy compiles
and appears to function.

Hanni