[Numpy-discussion] Installation info

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 23:30:43 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:49 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>> The presence of these functions should have been detected by the
>> configuration process of numpy. HAVE_FREXPF and HAVE_LDEXPF would have
>> been #define'd if we had detected them correctly. It is possible that
>> our configuration process for this does not work correctly with VS
>> 2008. From a clean checkout, can you please do the build again and
>> copy-and-paste everything printed to the terminal?
>
> As an aside, I don't understand how the configuration is supposed to
> work there: why do we define HAVE_LONGDOUBLE, etc...  for a serie of
> functions ? I don't understand why for example testing for expf is
> supposed to be enough to guarantee the presence of the whole float
> functions (HAVE_FLOAT_FUNCS). What is the rationale for that ?

Someone thought that it was a sufficient condition. If it is not, then
it should be fixed.

> Why not
> testing for every function we are using ?

There are a lot of them. Feel free to add any additional tests you
think are necessary, and we'll see how painful it is at build-time.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco