[Numpy-discussion] numpy, py2exe, and SSE

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Wed Jun 4 13:37:04 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I've been toying around with bundling up a numpy-using python program
for windows by using py2exe. All in all, it works great, except for
one thing: the numpy superpack installer for windows has (correctly)
selected SSE3 binary libraries to install on my machine. This causes
(of course) crashes when the binary py2exe bundle, which includes the
numpy libraries installed on my machine, is run on a non-SSE3 machine.

So, two questions:
  1) What's the best target for "safe" binaries on i386 machines? No
SSE at all? SSE? SSE2?
  2) What's the best way to get the libraries desired installed for
numpy? E.g. compile  if myself with some --no-sse option? (And if so,
any clue as to the required options.) Or is there some way to get the
numpy windows installer to install a specific kind of binary?

Thanks,
Zach Pincus