[Numpy-discussion] Building 64-bit numpy on OSX

Dan Yamins dyamins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 17:50:02 EDT 2008

> > I'm forced to run it as su.  (Is this a bad idea?)     Anyhow, when I
> > do run "sudo python setup.py install" in the numpy-1.1.0 directory I
> > downloaded from SciPy website, the build apparently works.
> If you were able to install python without sudo you should not need to
> use sudo to build numpy. I certainly did not need to do so. Can you post
> the exact sequence of commands you ran?

Here they are:

   daniel-yaminss-mac-pro:numpy-1.1.0 danielyamins$ python setup.py install
   Running from numpy source directory.

   ....[a whole bunch of output, things apparently working for a little
while. then:]

   copying build/lib.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5/numpy/__config__.py ->
/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy
   error: could not delete
'/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/__config__.py': Permission
denied

This is what happens when I try to run the install without "sudo".  When I
do "sudo python setup.py install" instead, the process finishes but then, as
I said before, when I open a python interpreter and try to import numpy it
fails in the way I posted previously.

>It is not obvious to me, but I do't see what is wrong either. Apple's
>python is not in /usr/local, so it does not sound like when you build
>numpy you ended up using the "wrong" python.

So, I think it's using the "right" python since I modified my .profile to
make the 64-bit version stored in /usr/local the default.    (and when I
open python the "build" information gives the time of the new one I built.)

thanks,
Dan