[Numpy-discussion] Building 64-bit numpy on OSX

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 12:09:36 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Dan Yamins <dyamins at gmail.com> wrote:

> .  What I think matters is "no matching architecture in
>
>>  > universal wrapper". Hmmm. I wonder if you and Michael have the same
>> > versions of OS X?
>>
>>  > And why is dlopen looking for a universal library? One would hope that
>> > distutils would have taken care of that.
>>

> I think you're right about the "no matching architecture" thing mattering
> more than the permissions issue.  However, somewhere I read that using a
> "sudo ... install" command could sometimes interfere with distutils.   Is
> that plausible?
>
> No, I sudo to install all the time. Usually I do python setup.py build
first so I can easily remove the build directory.

<snip>

> > What does
> >
> > file /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so
> >
> > do?
> >

> This is telling.  I get:
>
>    multiarray.so: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
>    multiarray.so (for architecture i386):    Mach-O bundle i386
>    multiarray.so (for architecture ppc):    Mach-O bundle ppc
>
> It seems to my like it's possible that somehow, I never ended up building
> numpy as 64-bit in the first place.   But I'm basically stumped.

A good thing to try is deleting both the build directory and the numpy
folder in site-packages just to make sure you are starting with a clean
slate. Then try the install again. You should also run which python just to
make sure you are using the right python, not that that seems to be the case
here. Also, put the build output into a log file like so: $ python setup.py
build &> log.txt. Then zip and attach the log to your post so we can get a
better idea what is going on.

Chuck