[Numpy-discussion] Installation info

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jun 9 02:25:03 EDT 2008

Gael Varoquaux wrote:

> I was just wondering, could we ask Microsoft for some help here. A build
> bot, or a Windows 64 license... They are helping porting the SAGE project
> to windows, so they do have interest in getting open source scientific
> software working on windows.

Windows 64 is actually the easiest problem: you can find free trial
license for Windows server 2008 on MS website.

The main problem is the compiler and BLAS/LAPACK: mingw cannot target 64
bits yet (there is a mingw-w64 project, but after some digging, I found
out that it was legally dubious, hence not integrated yet in the 'real'
mingw project). Now, you could think about using MS compiler, but I
don't like the idea very much, and there is the problem of blas/lapack.
cygwin, already slow, is dog slow on windows 64 (because it runs in 32
bits, I guess ?), and is needed to build atlas (blas and lapack too, but
it is at least theoretically possible to build them without makefiles;
atlas build system is so complicated that it makes autotools feel
extremely enjoyable).

cheers,

David