[Numpy-discussion] nose changes checked in

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:51:37 EDT 2008

2008/6/18 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>:
> 2008/6/18 Anne Archibald <peridot.faceted at gmail.com>:
>> Well, probably. But more so for those that are used widely throughout
>> numpy itself, since many of us learn how to write code using numpy by
>> reading numpy source. (Yes, this means that "internal" conventions
>> like "numpy.core.whatever" get used by people who aren't writing
>> numpy.)
>
> People shouldn't be using code from `numpy.core` directly.  When we
> refactor code behind the scenes, we need a workspace to do it in, and
> if people start putting their hands in the engine we can't protect
> them from getting hurt.  A bigger warning sign may be appropriate (or,
> to take it to the extreme, rename `core` to `_core`).

I'm not arguing users should be using numpy.core (and I don't use it),
but given the nature of numpy and its documentation, many users look
into the code, see "numpy.core" and copy that. I think unless we want
to actually expose sub-namespaces - which was actively discussed - we
probably should put an underscore.

Not that we can without breaking the code of all those people who are
already using numpy.core.

Anne