[Numpy-discussion] Sparse Matrices in Numpy -- (with eigenvalue algorithms if possible)

Dan Yamins dyamins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 23:23:06 EDT 2008

> The next version of SciPy will include two sparse eigensolvers: ARPACK
> and LOBPCG
>

> http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/sparse/linalg/eigen

OK, so I then I have three questions:

1) Does your commend imply that the current version of scipy does _not_ have
an eigensolver? (I installed it but can't find an eigensolver in it ... )

2) How would I go about installing the ARPACK and/or LOBPCG routines that do
exist now?  Or is it too early and they're not quite ready yet?

3) Finally: (and this is slightly off topic) -- I've just installed SciPy
for the first time.  In the readme.txt for the download it mentioned
something about having LAPACK and ATLAS installed.  However, on the scipy
install page (for OSX, http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X), it
doesn't mention anything about LAPACK and ATLAS -- and the instructions
there that I followed worked without any need for those packages.    Do I
need them?  Or are they only necessary for making certain routines faster?

Thanks!
Dan

Also: