[Numpy-discussion] numpy and roundoff(?)

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 10:26:50 EST 2008

Damian Eads wrote:
> One used -mfpmath=sse, and the other, -mfpmath=387.
> Keeping them both
> the same cleared the discrepancy.

Oh yes! I think you  got it...

On 3/3/08, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Was it really a "significant" difference, or just noticeable? I hope
>  not, that would be pretty scary!

I now believe that this is possible causing the trouble. And yes, in
my case the cummulative differences leaded to different iteration
counts in a matrix-free Newton-Krylov method. Of course, the final
answer was as as accurate as the tolerances for the nonlinear solver.

--
Lisandro Dalcín