[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 04:02:37 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Joris De Ridder
<Joris.DeRidder at ster.kuleuven.be> wrote:

>  On 06 Mar 2008, at 19:15, Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>  > http://www.cython.org/
>  > is an evolved version of Pyrex (which is used by numpy and scipy) with
>  > lots of improvements.  We'd like to position Cython as the preferred
>  > way of writing most, if not all, new extension code written for numpy
>  > and scipy,  as it is easier to write, get right, debug (when you still
>  > get it wrong) and maintain than writing to the raw Python-C API.
>

>  Could you explain a bit more why you think this is the best path to
>  follow?
>  Pyrex is kind of a dialect, so your extension modules would be nor
>  python nor C, but a third language. Is this indeed easier to maintain?
>  When you would like to use legacy C code for an extension, would you
>  rewrite it in Cython? What are Cython's advantages compared to ctypes?

Chris B gave what I think is a good reply to this, but feel free to
ask if you have further questions.  I think it's important that we
reach some consensus on why this a good idea on technical grounds
without anyone feeling like the decision is made opaquely in some back
room, so please raise any doubts or concerns you may still have, and
we'll do our best to address them.

Cheers