[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 04:06:45 EST 2008

Hi Robin,

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Robin <robince at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >   Any student interested in this should quickly respond on the list;
>  >   such a project would likely be co-mentored by people on the Numpy and
>  >   Cython teams, since it is likely to require expertise from both ends.
>
>  Hello,
>
>  I would like to register my keen interest in applying for Numpy/Scipy
>  GSoC project. I am a first year PhD student in Computational
>  Neuroscience and my undergraduate degree was in Mathematics.
>
>  I have been using Numpy and Scipy for my PhD work for a few months now
>  and have been building up to trying to contribute something to the
>  project - I am keen to get more substantial real world programming
>  experience... The projects described involving Cython definitely
>  interest me, although I don't yet have a sufficient understanding of
>  the Python C-API and Pyrex/Cython to gauge how demanding they might
>  be.
>
>  As a PhD student in the UK I don't have any official summer vacation,
>  so I wouldn't be able to work full time on the project (I also have a
>  continuation report due just before the GSoC final deadline which is a
>  bit annoying). However I currently work 20 hours per week part time
>  anyway, so I'm confident that I could replace that with GSoC and still
>  keep up with my studies.
>
>  I would be keen to chat with someone (perhaps on the IRC channel)
>  about whether my existing programming experience and availability
>  would allow me to have a proper crack at this.
>
>  I understand that first organisations apply (deadline 12th March) with
>  some suggested projects, and then towards the end of the month
>  students can apply to accepted organisations, either for the suggested
>  project or their own ideas. I'd love to see Numpy/Scipy apply as an
>  organisation with these projects (and perhaps some others) so that
>  interested students like myself can apply.

As Ondrej pointed out, the expectation is a full-time commitment to
the project.  Other than that it sounds like you might be able to
participate, and it's worth noting that this being open source, if you
just have some free time and would like to get involved with an
interesting project, by all means pitch in.  Even if someone picks up
an 'official' project, there's plenty to be done on the cython/numpy
front for more than one person.

Perhaps it's not out of place to mention that many people have made
solid contributions for years to open source projects without monetary
compensation, and still see value in the activity.  If you can spend
the time on it, you may still find many rewards out of the work.

Cheers,