[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 05:06:58 EST 2008

Hi Robin,

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Robin <robince at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I hadn't seen the link Ondrej provided, although the 40 hour week
>  seems to be a Python/PSF requirement. Prior to posting I had checked
>  the Google information, where they say the time commitment depends on
>  both the scope of your project and the requirements of your mentoring
>  organisation. They also say they have had successful applicants in
>  previous years from full-time students at non-US universities (who
>  don't get a summer break), so I thought it might be possible for me to
>  be considered. I also asked in #gsoc where I was advised 20 hours per
>  week would be a good baseline, again depending on the project.
>
>  Of course, I hope to contribute to Numpy/Scipy anyway - but this
>  scheme would be a great way to kick-start that.
>
>  I look forward to seeing Numpy/Scipy accepted as a mentor organisation
>  this year anyway, even if I am unable to take part.

I don't want to mislead anyone because I'm not directly involved with
the actual mentoring, so forgive any confusion I may have caused.  My
current understanding is that we just don't have the time and
resources right now for numpy/scipy to be a separate mentor
organization, and thus we'd go in under the PSF umbrella.  In that
case, we'd probably be bound to the PSF guidelines, I imagine.

I offered to get the ball rolling on the cython idea because time is
tight and at the Sage/Scipy meeting there was  lot of interest on this
topic from everyone present.  But the actual mentoring will need to
come from others who are much more directly involved with cython and
numpy at the C API level than myself, so I'll try not to answer
anything too specifically on that front to avoid spreading
misinformation.

Cheers,