[Numpy-discussion] Scipy to MyHDL!

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 16:42:36 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Blubaugh, David A.
<dblubaugh at belcan.com> wrote:

> To Whom It May Concern,
>
> Please allow me to introduce myself.  My name is David Allen Blubaugh.  I am
> currently in the developmental stages of a Field-Programmable-Gate-Array
> (FPGA) device for a high-performance computing application.  I am currently
> evaluating the MyHDL environment for translating python source code to
> verilog.  I am also wondering as to what would be necessary to interface
> both Scipy and Numpy to the MyHDL environment?  I believe that there will
> definitely be the need for modifications done within Numpy framework in
> order to quickly prototype an algorithm, like the FFT, and have it
> translated to verilog.  Do you have any additional suggestions?

Can you sketch out in more detail exactly what you are envisioning? My
gut feeling is that there is very little direct interfacing that can
be fruitfully done. numpy and scipy provide much higher level
abstractions than MyHDL provides. I don't think there is even going to
be a good way to translate those abstractions to MyHDL. One programs
for silicon in an HDL rather differently than one programs for a
modern microprocessor in a VHLL.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."