[Numpy-discussion] Inplace index suprise

James Philbin philbinj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:17:44 EDT 2008

Hi,

>  This cannot work, because the inplace operation does not
>  take place as a for loop.
Well, this would be fine if I was assigning the values to tempories as
you suggest. However, the operation should be performed inplace and
this is what I don't understand - why is there no for loop? I think
the semantics of these inplace indexed operations is intuitively quite
clear and numpy doesn't follow this intuition. Would there be any
interest in changing this behaviour in numpy?

>  This is a FAQ.
Sorry if i'm rehashing old ground, but the closest thing I could find
to a numpy faq is here: http://www.scipy.org/FAQ. There seems to be no
mention of this issue there.

James