[Numpy-discussion] numpy's future (1.1 and beyond): which direction(s) ?

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 21 06:07:42 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 9:35 PM, David Cournapeau
<cournapeau at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>         numpy 1.0.5 is on the way, and I was wondering about numpy's future. I
>  myself have some ideas about what could be done; has there been any
>  discussion behind what is on 1.1 trac's roadmap ? Some of the things I
>  would like to see myself:
> <snip>
>  What do people think about this ? Is that a direction numpy developers
>  are interested in ?

Hey,

I don't have time to put much detail up at this point, but I have put
some thought into this and will spend sometime discussing this next
week--once I get back to the states and catch up on my work.  Here are
my two top general preferences for a 1.1 release:

1.  I would like to get NumPy 1.1 out ASAP.  In particular, I want to
try very hard to get it released by the end of the summer.  This means
we will need to be very careful about how many new features we plan to
add.  I would much rather try to get more frequent stable releases out
at this point, rather than delaying longer for more features.  The
more we add to the next release, the longer it will likely take to
really stabilize after we release 1.1.0.  If instead we get out 1.1.0
out within a few months, we may be able to start working on 1.2.0
sooner.

2.  I want us to switch to using nose tests.  We already did this in
the SciPy trunk.

Also, just a reminder:  I **really** need help getting 1.0.5 out.  I
know that planning new features is much more interesting and fun; but
if everyone can help reduce the number of bugs, we will be able to
release 1.0.5 much more quickly.  Before we starting working or
thinking about 1.1, I would much rather see everyone spend some time
helping stabilize and test the next (possibly last 1.0.x) release.
Then we can start discussing and developing code for 1.1 without
having the 1.0.5 release still pending.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman