[Numpy-discussion] Openmp support (was numpy's future (1.1 and beyond): which direction(s) ?)

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 10:41:47 EDT 2008

> If the performances are so bad, ok, forget about it....but it would be
> sad because the next generation CPU will not be more powerfull, they
> will "only" have more that one or two cores on the same chip.

I don't think this is the worst that will happen. The worst is what has been
seen for decades : the CPU raw power raising faster than memory speed
(bandwidth and latency). With the next generation of Intel's CPU, the memory
controller will at last be on the CPU and correctly shared between cores,
but for the moment, with our issues, splitting this kind of parallel jobs
(additions, subtractions, ...) will not enhance speed as the bottleneck is
the memory controller/system bus that is already used at 100% by one core.

Matthieu
--
French PhD student