[Numpy-discussion] [IPython-dev] mercurial now has free hosting too

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Mar 26 06:08:31 EDT 2008

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> I have watch developpers switch to DVCS lately, and I must say it
> requires a certain change in working habits. Let us wait for people to
> get used to these new tools before discussing which one to you.

I personally think that the supposed difficulty of DVCS is greatly
exaggerated. Basic things are as easy with bzr/hg as they are with
svn/svn: cheking out, committing, blame and log are exactly the same.

Branching/merging is different, but I don't think anybody would argue
that it is easier/more natural with svn that it is with DVCS.

Advanced concepts are maybe a bit difficult to grasp, but nobody need
them if they do not need them. In particular, if you do not use
branches, the only difference between hg/bzr and svn is that commit in
svn is equivalent to commit + push in bzr/hg. All the basic commands
even have the same name and the same abbreviation (ci for commit, up for
update).

Compare that to the immediate benefits (such as tracking patches, for
example, which at least for me is a PITA right now with trac+svn), I
think it worths 5 minutes spent on getting used to the new tool. The
problem really is the change of infrastructure (I don't think anybody
would be in favor of losing numpy/scipy history, for example, or losing
trac tickets for launchpad if we use launchpad), and for windows users
who want GUI (which do not exist today in any usable form).

cheers,

David